Pole Number: 2
Miles from Derby Castle: 0.00
Miles from Ramsey: 17.78
Access: From Promenade
Notes: Derby Castle, named after the former entertainment complex that used to occupy the site north of the station, opened in 1893 under the banner of the Isle of Man Tramways and Electric Power Company, Ltd, operating as the ‘Douglas and Laxey Coast Electric Tramway’. The station retains its rustic 1899 ticket office, covered accommodation being provided by a modern bus shelter supplied in June 2002.
The station shares the area and serves as an interchange with the Douglas Horse Tramway (which runs throughout May till September) and The Terminus Tavern public house, serving food and Okells/Guest Ales.
A grand canopy used to occupy the site over the Horse Tramway boarding area, but was eventually demolished in 1980, the supports remaining today for the electric lights. The situation of covered accommodation at this station has fluctuated since then, varying from a Leyland National Bus, to a withdrawn Horse Tram, to even a Tram from Lisbon in Portugal!