Numbers Carried: No.4
Built: G.F Milnes, 1894
Classification: 6 ton van with platforms
Current Status/Location: Operational, In Service
Year Last Operated: In Service
Livery: Post Office Red with M.E.R. lettering
History: Van No.4 arrived at Derby Castle during December 1894, built by G.F Milnes of Birkenhead, the second item of covered stock acquired by the railway. It was overhauled during the nationalisation period of 1957-58, alongside the other stock retained at the time. No.4 was then stored during the mid 1980s at Ramsey alongside Van No.16. It however saw a reprieve, and was repainted and rebuilt in 1992-3 by Ramsey Shipbuilders, painted in Post Office Red as a ‘Mail Van’.
It has been used usually during ‘Travelling Post Office’ events, debuting in February 1993 and making many appearances since, usually for the launching of new sets of stamps and cachets. No.4 was moved for off-railway storage during the rebuild of the M.E.R’s Derby Castle Top Sheds in October 1996, moving to the IoMR Douglas Carriage Sheds, returning in December 1997. The Van has remained in service until the present day, usually running on special services along the M.E.R.