Numbers Carried: No.16
Built: Manx Electric Railway, Derby Castle, 1908
Classification: Large mail van
Current Status/Location: Operational
Year Last Operated: In Service
Livery: M.E.R Olive Green
History: Van No.16 was built at Derby Castle in 1908, classified as a ‘large mail van’. GR Royal Mail lettering was added from construction for Post Office duty, but was removed by 1955. The van was stored at Ramsey from the late 1970s until 1992, noted as being ‘rusted to the rails!’
No.16 was moved for further storage at the Homefield Bus Garage Upper Douglas in January 2001, being moved to Dhoon Quarry and stored off tracks in November 2009. Moving back onto the rails to Laxey in Autumn 2010, A full restoration to operational condition by the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust was carried out, with the Van repainted in the Olive Green livery of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Van No.16 re-entered traffic as a display vehicle in July 2015 as part of the years Manx Heritage Transport Festival.