|CURRENT STATUS AND LOCATION||YEAR LAST OPERATED||LIVERY|
|In Service||In Service||M.E.R Red/White/Teak with Isle of Man Transport Logos|
By 1903, the M.E.R was forced to operate two of the 4-9 series of Motors as Trailers for the Winter services, and to allow them to return to their proper role, two Enclosed Saloon Trailers were ordered from the Electric Railway and Tramway Carriage Company of Preston, and delivered in 1904, were mounted on Brill 27CxT Trucks, Trailer No.57 being the first of the pair, seeing use on it’s intended diagramming until the 1960s, where they became largely unused.No.57 was stored during the early 1970s, and in 1978 the Car had it’s internal fittings removed and was temporarily parked at Laxey as a shop, however this was an unsuccessful venture and the trailer was refitted with seats and returned to Derby Castle Car Sheds for further use shortly after.
In conjunction with No.58, it was used for the Steam on the Electric events in 1993, and by itself from Bungalow to Snaefell Summit in 1995, being fitted with a full Fell caliper braking system in Autumn 1994 for the purpose. It was on the mountain that No.57 suffered structural damage, and was taken out of traffic for a full overhaul and rebuild, re-entering traffic during June 2002. No.57 returned in the normal M.E.R Red/White/Teak livery, but with the addition of Isle of Man Transport stickers to the end bulkheads. It remained in use until June 2010, where it was taken out of traffic to address consistent derailment issues, and the axles were found to be a few millimetres out of gauge. No.57 returned to traffic following completion of the work during March 2012, and remains in service.