|CURRENT STATUS AND LOCATION||YEAR LAST OPERATED||LIVERY|
|In service||In service||D&LCET Maroon/Cream|
Trailer No.49 was the first trailer built for the Manx Electric Railway in a batch of six built in 1893 by G.F Milnes of Birkenhead, as No.11. It was renumbered in 1895 to become No.23 after the construction of the 10-13 series of Motors, No.28 in 1898 with the anticipation of Locomotive No.23’s construction, and finally No.49 in 1903/04 with the construction of the 28-31 series. It was rebuilt with a canvas roof in 1894/95 from it’s condition as a fully open trailer, and rebuilt again in 1903 with a curved wooden roof.
A post-war rebuild in the 1940s saw higher glazed end bulkheads added. It was overhauled in 1978/79 for the Centenary of Electric Traction Celebrations and repainted in the claret, cream and teak style to match Car No.1 (and eventually No.2). No.49 was stored during the mid-1980s at Laxey Car Shed, returning to traffic briefly during September 1993 for the Laxey Centenary Cavalcade.
It was taken to Derby Castle Car Sheds from Laxey Car Shed for overhaul during August 1995, re-emerging during 1996. It was utilised during enthusiast events and summer running throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s, being stored at Douglas IoMR Carriage Sheds for a short period between October 1996 and June 1997 while Derby Castle Top Car Sheds were being rebuilt, returning due to a lack of serviceable trailers on the railway! After further use during the late 1990s and 2000s, Trailer No.49 was stored in Winter 2008 at Derby Castle Car Sheds, with a fleet-wide inspection finding cracked axles on it’s wheelsets.
In late 2018 the trailer was moved into the workshop at Derby Castle for overhaul, including underframe repair, new wheelsets and a partial repaint. The trailer returned to traffic after an 11-year hiatus as part of the 2019 Manx Heritage Transport Festival.