The following is an April Fool posted on the site on 01.04.14 – everything below may not be what it seems!
The relay of Laxey station over the Winter period has been completed in time for the start of the 2014 season.
The works, starting in November 2013, have included the re-alignment of the track through the station area, installation of a new siding on the site of the Refreshment rooms (destroyed by fire in 1917) and the removal of the points allowing shunting in the station area. These have been replaced by a pair of crossovers either side of the Mines Road level crossing, to allow shunting outside the station area.
The relay and resurfacing of Laxey station was completed late in March with final works and testing taking place in the last few days of the month.
In a first for the Manx Electric Railway, full signal indicators (the current standard for light rail and tramway systems) have been installed between Little Egypt and Millers Crossing to assist with the new operational procedures in the area, and will be operated from a manned control centre located in the old Laxey Substation building. This is the first of its type on the island, although colour-light signals have been used for some years on the Isle of Man Steam Railway.
A full gallery of the work carried out at Laxey over the last five months can be viewed HERE.