Builder: Beyer Peacock, Manchester
Build Number: 1253
Current Status/Location: Stored awaiting overhaul, Douglas Sheds
Livery: Lined Alisa Green
Year Visited: 1998
History: No.1 ‘Sutherland’ was the original engine delivered in 1873 to the Isle of Man Railway, hauling the opening train, and was in constant service until 1964. It was painted green and put on static display at St. Johns, then being given pride of place in the new Port Erin Museum.
No.1 remained there until 1997, when the decision was taken to return her to service for the 1998 ‘Steam 125’ Celebrations. It was given the overhauled boiler of No.8 ‘Fenella’, and visited the M.E.R shortly after, operating trips between Laxey and Fairy Cottage hauling Trailer No.58, unusually facing southbound as opposed to the previous visits of locomotives which were all northbound. The time was also taken for lineups with the other two No.1s, from the M.E.R and Snaefell Mountain Railway.
Sutherland was returned to the IOMR shortly after, and the boiler placed back into No.8 in 2003. It is now awaiting futher developments in Douglas Shed.