Trailer No.58 (1904)

Groudle, 2016

Trailer No.58 at Groudle, July 2016 © Josh Haworth

CURRENT STATUS AND LOCATION YEAR LAST OPERATED LIVERY
In Service In Service M.E.R Red/White/Teak

History
By 1903, the M.E.R was forced to operate two of the 4-9 series of Motors as Trailers for the Winter services, and to allow them to return to their proper role, two Enclosed Saloon Trailers were ordered from the Electric Railway and Tramway Carriage Company of Preston, and delivered in 1904, were mounted on Brill 27CxT Trucks, Trailer No.58 being the second of the pair, seeing use on it’s intended diagramming until the 1920s, where they became used less frequently, only appearing for special occasions or as and when required.

It was used for the Steam on the Electric events in conjunction with No.57 in 1993, and by itself 1995 and 1998. Remaining in use occassionally, No.58 was withdrawn in 2002 for a full overhaul, which was then completed by 2008 after long periods of delays and suspension! No.58 suffered a major derailment at Dumbells Row in July 2015, and underwent a full bodywork overhaul and repair, returning to traffic in June 2016.

Information:

techninfobutton

gallerybutton

< Back to Trailers

Comments are closed.