Technical – Loco No.23 (1900)

Conductors:
Winter 1900-January 1914: Trolley Pole
January 1914-Winter 1925: None
Winter 1925-Spring 1944: Trolley Pole
Spring 1944-Summer 1979: None
Summer 1979-Summer 1999: Trolley Pole
Summer 1994-Current: None

Trucks:
Winter 1900-Spring 1901: Milnes Series 3, ECC Frames (ex Car No.17), detrucked each Spring and retrucked each Winter until January 1914
Winter 1925-Spring 1944: Brill 27CX (ex Car No.33), detrucked each Spring and retrucked each Winter until Spring 1944
Spring 1944-1960s: Milnes Series 3 Trailer (ECC Frames)
1960s-Spring 1979: None, stored on floor of Laxey Car Shed
Spring 1979-Spring 1983: Milnes Series 1
May 1983: Brill 27CX (ex Car No.33)
June 1983-April 1984:  Milnes Series 1
May 1984: Brill 27CX (ex Car No.33)
May 1984-Spring 1993: Milnes Series 1
Spring 1993-January 2001: Milnes Series 3, ECC Frames (ex Car No.17)
January 2001-2009: None, stored on wooden blocks
November 2009: Milnes Series 1
December 2009-February 2011: None, stored on wooden blocks
February 2011: Milnes Series 1
February 2011-Current:  None, stored on wooden sleepers

Traction Motors:
Winter 1900-Spring 1901: 4 x E.C.C (Electric Car Company, Wolverhampton) 20hp, removed as part of detrucking each Spring and retrucking each Winter until January 1914
Winter 1925-Spring 1944: 4 x General Electric 60 27 1/2hp, removed as part of detrucking each Spring and retrucking each Winter until Spring 1944
May 1983: 4 x General Electric 60 27 1/2hp
May 1984: 4 x General Electric 60 27 1/2hp
Spring 1993-January 2001: 4 x E.C.C (Electric Car Company, Wolverhampton) 20hp

Controller:
Winter 1900-January 1914: General Electric K11 unit (presumably ex-Car No.17, removed each Spring and reinstalled each Winter until January 1914)
Winter 1925-Spring 1944: General Electric K12 unit, located at Ramsey-end (presumably ex-Car No.33, removed each Spring and reinstalled each Winter until Spring 1944)
Spring 1993-Spring 1994: General Electric K12 unit, located at Ramsey-end (presumably ex-Car No.17)

Braking:
1900-1914: Handbrake only
Winter 1925-Spring 1944: Air Braking
Spring 1944-Current: Hand Braking

Motor Compressor (for air whistle when not used for air braking):
1903-1914: Christensen
Winter 1925-Spring 1944: Christensen
May 1983: Maley and Taunton (ex-Sheffield City Transport)
May 1984: Maley and Taunton (ex-Sheffield City Transport)
Spring 1993-Spring 1994: Christensen

Seating Style:
1993: Chairs and Benches

Seating Capacity:
1993: 24

Overhauls:
Summer-Winter 1925/26: Full Rebuild
Spring 1979: Cosmetic

Liveries/Repaints:

Dates Carried Livery Notes Image
1900-1902 Lined Green with ‘IoMT&EPCo’ lettering.
1903-1914 Lined Green with ‘M.E.R Co. Ltd.’ lettering.
Winter 1925-Spring 1979 Green/Grey with ‘M.E.R Co. Ltd.’ lettering.
Spring 1979-Spring 1992 Green/Grey with ‘M.E.R Co. Ltd.’ lettering.
Spring 1992-Current Lined Green/Grey with ‘M.E.R Co. Ltd.’ lettering.

Notable Dates:

24/01/1914: Damaged in accident near Laxey Old Road, remains moved to Derby Castle

xx/03/1979: Moved from Laxey Car Shed to Derby Castle Car Shed by Car No.2 for cosmetic restoration

30/05/1983: Worked passenger trips with Trailer No.37 from Derby Castle to Laxey and return, and demonstration freight with Van No.14 and Wagon No.8 from Derby Castle to Dhoon Quarry and return

28/05/1984: Worked demonstration freight with Van No.11 and Wagon No.8 from Derby Castle to Laxey and return

25/05/1992: Named ‘Dr R Preston Hendry’ at Derby Castle

23/10/1996: Moved for further storage at Ramsey Car Shed behind Car No.5

XX/01/2001: Moved to Homefield Bus Garage, Upper Douglas for further storage

< Back to Locomotive No.23 (1900)

Advertisements

Comments are closed.