Wickham No.5864

Wickham No.5864 at the Laxey Snaefell Car Shed, 1960s. © Travel Lens Photographic

Builder: Wickham of Ware
Build Number: 5864
Built: 1951

Current Status/Location: Awaiting Restoration, Statfold Barn Railway
Year Last Operated: 1980s
Livery: Yellow/Black

History: Wickham No.5864 was built in 1951 for the Civil Aviation Authority, and arrived on the Snaefell Mountain Railway in the same year. It was purchased for transporting CAA maintenance staff to maintain the aerial mast installation located at the Summit – an all year round task, not possible by the usual electric power as the wires are taken down above the Bungalow in the Winter. In the 1960s the railcar was painted from its original blue livery to yellow and black.

In 1977, following replacement by a newer example, No.10956, it was sold to the M.E.R Board of the time for use as a permanent way vehicle, being laid up at the Snaefell Car Sheds at Laxey during the 1980s. In June 2007 No.5864 was privately purchased as surplus to requirements, and now resides at the Statfold Barn Railway, Staffordshire, awaiting restoration.

< Back to Motors

Comments are closed.