4 – Repaints and Replacements

The Nationalised Snaefell Mountain Railway began on the 1st of June, with a new livery for the cars being introduced over the Winter of 1958/59. In the event, this Green and White was only applied to Cars No.2 and No.4, which after much complaint disappeared by 1963.

Old and New Liveries pass near the Summit: Car No.5 heads down while Car No.2, wearing the Green Livery, heads up. © Alan Spencer Collection

Old and New Liveries pass near the Summit: Car No.5 heads down while Car No.2, wearing the Green Livery, heads up. © Alan Spencer Collection

Unfortunately the era was not without losses: The Bungalow Hotel was closed during Winter 1957/58 and demolished shortly after (after a failed attempt to revitalise the bus service between Bungalow and Sulby Glen). However, the Summit Hotel was refurbished to compensate. The entire downhill Fell rail was renewed in 1968; the first track renewal to take place on the line in many years! Further renewals of track took place in the following Winters, when the line was closed for the season.

The ‘new’ Car No.5, sporting it’s reconstructed body in the early 1970s, with new windows and no clerestory roof. © Richard Pryke

The ‘new’ Car No.5, sporting it’s reconstructed body in the early 1970s, with new windows and no clerestory roof. © Richard Pryke

Fire at the summit in August 1970 saw the loss of Car No.5’s original body, the high winds fanning the flames until only one bulkhead and the frame remained. However, such was the commitment to the fleet, a new body was constructed during the Winter by H.D Kinnin of Ramsey at Derby Castle, the car returning to traffic in June 1971! However, thoughts were taken to address the equipment of the cars, which by now were becoming long in the tooth…

< Back to 3 – The Wars and Nationalisation
Forward to 5 – The Re-equipment Programme >

< Back to History

Advertisements

Comments are closed.