|CURRENT STATUS AND LOCATION||YEAR LAST OPERATED||LIVERY|
|Scrapped, 1927||1926||M.E.R Blue/Teak, Grey|
Car No.12 was built in 1895 by G.F Milnes and Co as a ‘Vestibuled Saloon’ passenger car, fitted with standard Milnes Series 3 trucks, powered by 2x25hp Mather and Platt traction motors, and Mather and Platt controllers. It was withdrawn in 1902 after only 7 years of service, but was later rebuilt in early 1903 as a dedicated ‘Cattle Car’ with larger sides and roof, along with a large set of double doors along the side. The rebuild also added a front headlight, presumably for working during adverse conditions, which the Class lacked during construction, No.12 being outshopped in March of the same year.
It then had it’s traction motors removed in 1912 for use as a Trailer and renumbered to No.22 in the Goods Fleet during 1918, remaining in traffic and last receiving mechanical attention during 1924/25. During it’s next works visit however, it was found that significant corrosion damage to the frames had occurred, caused by the lime/whitewash used to clean and disinfect the interior of the Trailer, and as a result it was scrapped during March 1927.