The 1893 Originals – 9 – And then there were two…

< Back to The 1893 Originals

During the 1930s, Cars 1 and 2 were racking up very different mileages compared to one another, with Car No.1 used in normal service, while Car No.2 was both in normal service and used by the Overhead Line department. Both cars still retained their full ‘The Manx Electric Railway Co Ltd’ livery, however Car No.2 by this date had not been repainted since 1922 (although it did not show it, as the M.E.R workshops at Derby Castle kept every car’s bodywork in fantastic condition!). Car No.1 had received another coat of the fleet livery in Winter 1931, however.

© W.A Camwell

© W.A Camwell

In this picture from April 1939, Car No.1 waits single-motor in the Laxey Blacksmith Siding to operate a service back to Derby Castle, still carrying the full ‘The Manx Electric Railway Co Ltd’ title as applied in 1931.

< Back to The 1893 Originals

Comments are closed.