6 – Replacement and Repaints
In 1903 the M.E.R was undergoing a upgrade program to their powered cars (with more advanced technology becoming available within a period of 10 years!). All three received new General Electric K11 controllers, Christensen air-braking equipment to replace the original hand-braking method, and retrucking with ‘Brush D’ type trucks. Although the trucks were numbered 974 to 999, their fitment to the 1-3 series, 4-9 series, Car No.16 and the 24-27 series seemed to be in no particular order, with Car No.1 receiving trucks 984 and 991, Car No.2 979 and 980, and Car No.3 an unrecorded set, with likely candidates being a set of either 974, 983, 994, 996, 998 or 999.
All the modifications took place at Derby Castle Car Sheds in Summer 1903, with Cars 1 and 2 re-entering traffic in July, and Car No.3 in August. These overhauls gave the cars a power and speed boost, doubling their capacity from 50 to 100hp. The class also received repaints into the new ‘company’ livery of Red and White, with the title of ‘The Manx Electric Railway Co Ltd’.
The picture above shows the repainted Car No.3 in 1904/05 outside Derby Castle Car Sheds, posing for the photographer.