3 – Modifications and extensions
After finishing the 18-day service in September 1893, all three were stored for the Winter/Spring in the Car Sheds at Derby Castle. The cars had their original bow collectors replaced by an improved sprung variant, and bars were fitted to the window sides, which in turn were altered to only half-drop down. When they returned to traffic on the Derby Castle to Groudle line on the 12th of May 1894, they now shared the tramway with a new class in the process of being delivered, the 4-9 series. Operations between Derby Castle and Groudle before the newly constructed extension to Laxey used a three car service, 1-3 again operating as the new 4-9 series were still undergoing testing and acceptance trials.
With the extension to Laxey opening on the 28th of July 1894, the cars now shared services with the 4-9 class, which had entered traffic. In this picture, Car No.3, sporting it’s new collection equipment shares space in the Bottom Shed with the newly-built Car No.6, with several members of shed staff posing for the photograph. © Website Collection