The 1893 Originals – 25 – Back to the 30s

< Back to The 1893 Originals

By 2004, Car No.1’s paintwork was getting tired, having been applied and touched up from 1979 onwards. The car was unusually taken out of service during the Summer period (cars are usually given attention to bodywork during the Winter months), and dispatched to Ramsey Car Shed for a full repaint. This was one of the first to be undertaken in the building, completed by outside contractors.

Car No.1 was outshopped in late-August in the 1930’s style Red, White and Teak livery, which, although carried at the time by most of the usual service fleet post-1980, was the first time it had carried a normal fleet livery scheme. However, the lettering did not read ‘Manx Electric Railway’, with the previous scheme’s ‘Douglas and Laxey Coast Electric Tramway’ lettering applied, creating a bridge between the two livery types.

© Website Collection

© Website Collection

Car No.1 is pictured here at Laxey waiting to run round with Trailer No.59, carrying the newly-applied hybrid scheme.

< Back to The 1893 Originals

Comments are closed.