2 – Commencement of services
After the August testing period, services to Groudle Glen commenced on the 7th of September 1893, running for 18 days until the 28th. During this time 20,000 passengers were carried at the minimum fare of 3d, with the cars operating a roughly 20 minute headway along the line, passing at the installed loops at Onchan Harbour (near to today’s Boncompte’s stop) and Lag Birragh.
In this picture, either Car No.1 or 2 loads up a rush of passengers at the departure stop, while Car No.3 waits to take the next set. It is interesting to note the lack of trailer operation, as by this time the Tramway had 6 available for traffic, however the passenger’s umbrellas possibly gives a reason why the then-open top trailers were not in use. © Website Collection