The 1893 Originals – 15 – Back in Red

< Back to The 1893 Originals

Car No.1 saw the removal of it’s green livery during Summer 1961, with all of the paintwork stripped off the teak on the bodysides, the lining re-applied with cream paint, and the rest painted back over with red. In a similar fashion to Car No.2, the headlight rims were also picked out in white (Although this modification was removed for unknown reasons during Winter 1963/64 and the paint stripped off).

© Alan Spencer Collection

© Alan Spencer Collection

In the picture above, No.1 waits to depart Ramsey post-repaint in the mid-1960s with Trailer No.44, At this time, both cars were usually deployed on specials with lightweight trailers between Derby Castle and Laxey, with occasional forays to Ramsey with heavier trailers, making this an unusual combination by then and todays standards!

< Back to The 1893 Originals

Comments are closed.