The 1893 Originals – 13 – The Green Machine

< Back to The 1893 Originals

In December 1957 the Manx Electric Railway was nationalised, and to emphasize the change, the newly appointed board of the time wanted to refresh the look of the fleet, introducing a new corporate green livery.

Car No.1 lost it’s 1944/45 repaint and was treated to a coat in Winter 1957/58, reappearing in it’s new livery during the Spring. After nearly three years of constant backlash against the fleet carrying the livery, it had it removed during Summer 1961, where the green was repainted out with a fresh coat of Red and White, with no lettering.

© Alan Spencer Collection

© Alan Spencer Collection

Car No.1 is pictured above in it’s short-lived guise in the Siding at Dhoon Quarry, during the early 1960s.

< Back to The 1893 Originals

Comments are closed.