The 1893 Originals – 11 – Early Overhead Line Days

< Back to The 1893 Originals

Since it’s appointment to the role in 1922 Car No.2 worked with a variety of rolling stock in duty with the Overhead Line department. First the three original 1894-built Tower Wagons from 1922-30, then after the destruction of the originals, the replacements, the 1931-built pair. The repaint in 1944/45 that it received was slightly different to that of Car No.1, it retaining a unlined red panel above the windows whereas Car No.1’s was white. Around the same time, hooks were also added to the sides of the Car to assist with moving the large ladders required for the Overhead Line work.

© A.D Packer

© A.D Packer

Car No.2 waits here with one of the 1931 Towers (later numbered No.1) at Groudle Glen to pass northbound over the crossover towards Laxey.

< Back to The 1893 Originals

Comments are closed.