The 1893 Originals – 10 – Repaints and Economy

< Back to The 1893 Originals

By 1944 both Car No.1 and No.2 had racked up very different mileages compared to one another since their last overhauls, with Car No.1 totaling 9,500 miles since it’s 1936 overhaul (around 267 round trips to Ramsey, or 669 round trips to Laxey), in normal service, while Car No.2 was both in service and used by the Overhead Line department, operating for 30,000 miles since it’s 1922 overhaul (around 843 round trips to Ramsey, or 2,112 round trips to Laxey!), Both cars however lost their corporate fleet colours during the Winter 1944/45 period, gaining a coat of plain red and white.

© Website Collection

© Website Collection

In this picture from 1948, Car No.1 in it’s new austerity colour scheme departs northbound from Laxey with a 1930s-built Trailer.

< Back to The 1893 Originals

Comments are closed.