1. Arrival and Testing
Built in Spring 1893 by G.F Milnes of Birkenhead as a class of three, Cars No.1-3 arrived on the Isle of Man and the-then Douglas and Laxey Coast Electric Tramway during the late Summer, carrying a Blue/White livery scheme, with red platform ends. Fitted with Hopkinson’s patented Bow Collectors and Mather and Platt electrical gear, controllers and two traction motors generating a total of 50hp, the class carried the most advanced technology available at the time. Originally seating 38 (later re-rated to 34), the passenger saloon shared much similarities with the 1892-built Douglas Bay Tramway Horse Trams Nos.27-29.
Testing of the class began in August, with all three venturing over the newly completed 2 1/2 mile line between Derby Castle and Groudle. Photographs picture Car No.3 on test with Trailer No.16 along the route at various locations, with the one here taken near to today’s Groudle Old Road stop.