The main gala week for the Manx Electric Railway as part of the Manx Heritage Transport Festival, taking place from the 30th of July to the 3rd of August 2014.
Wednesday July 30th
- The Electrifying Evening – An additional extra car-set supplementing the Wednesday night evening service, using a rota of unusual and photogenic cars over three round trips to Laxey, extending to Bulgham and Dhoon Quarry for photostops on the first two trips. Departs Derby Castle at 18:00, 19:40 and 21:20. Manxelectricrailway.co.uk volunteer stewards will be on hand to provide an information point for the M.E.R festival events.
Booked Car Sets (subject to availability): Car No.33, Car No.1, Car No.9 (illuminated) with appropriate Trailer.
Fares: All Normal and Explorer tickets valid.
Thursday July 31st
- Enhanced Service between Derby Castle and Laxey – Timetable D plus additional services will be in operation. Cars will depart Derby Castle in Numerical Order. Working timetables available at M.E.R. staffed stations on the day, and HERE.
- Photo Opportunities – The driver and conductor of Car No.1 will be in period dress, and Car No.7 will be specially scheduled to run parallel with Snaefell Car No.1 out of Laxey.
- Wickham Railcar Rides – A Wickham Railcar will be in operation between Derby Castle and Derby Castle Car Sheds, departing from Derby Castle every 20 minutes between 11:00 and 13:00 in between scheduled services.
- Fares: Explorer all other festival tickets valid.
- Derby Castle Car Shed Tours (conducted by depot supervisor Steve Hall and manxelectricrailway.co.uk volunteer stewards) at 11:30, 12:00, 12:30, 13:00, 13:30, 14:00, 14:30, 15:00 and 15:30. Tour includes historical background of the site and visits to the Car Sheds, Workshops and newly established M.E.R Goods Shed Museum. All available rolling stock will be on display.
Tickets: £5.00 per person, available from Derby Castle Booking Office. Please wait at the booking office for your tour to start.
- Mail Service – A Special Postal Service using 1894 built M.E.R Van No.4 will be in operation from Derby Castle to Laxey, with the delivery of limited edition railway stamp covers, cancelled with Railway Station postmarks. Covers may be purchased at Laxey Station and in advance by calling 01624 816302.
(Special Covers – £4.75 each)
- Goods Rolling Stock on Display – A variety of goods rolling stock used by the M.E.R and Snaefell Mountain Railways will be on display at Laxey, including the newly restored Open Wagon No.10, Two Snaefell Wagons (Tower and Flat), and the two vans under restoration by the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust, No.3 and No.16.
Friday August 1st
- The Power Trip – An evening photographic tour (conducted by manxelectricrailway.co.uk volunteer stewards) explaining the history on how the Manx Electric generated and provided its own electrical power. Photographic opportunities, stops and historical talks. Meet at Derby Castle 17:45 for a 18:00 Departure. Breaks at Laxey and Ramsey. Tour arrives back at Derby Castle at 22:15.
Click here for further information.
Booked Car Set (subject to availability): Car No.16/Trailer No.60
Fares: £10.00 per person, available from Derby Castle Booking Office.
Saturday August 2nd
- Mail Service – A Special Postal Service on the Snaefell Mountain Railway will be in operation from Laxey to the Summit, with the delivery of limited edition railway stamp covers, cancelled with Railway Station postmarks. Covers may be purchased at Laxey Station and in advance by calling 01624 816302.
- Manxelectricrailway.co.uk Crossover Crossbench Charity Railtour – An extremely rare opportunity to cover all Manx Electric Railway passenger track, rarely used in service crossovers and sidings in a single day. Every penny generated from the tour will go towards the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust Appeal, for the ongoing restorations of historic Manx Electric Railway Goods Vans No.3 and No.16. Meet at Derby Castle 08:45 for a 09:00 Departure. Break at Ramsey. Tour arrives back at Derby Castle at 17:00.
Click here for further and booking information.
Booked Car Set (subject to availability): Car No.32
Fares: £15.00 per person, available from HERE only.
(Please note that this event runs independently of the advertised Transport Festival programme, and is thus not supported by Isle of Man Transport)
Sunday August 3rd
- Enhanced Service between Derby Castle and Ramsey – Timetable D plus additional services will be in operation. with a 15 minute morning service from 09:40 til 12:10 to Ramsey and 30 minute afternoon service. Working timetables available at M.E.R. staffed stations on the day, and HERE.
- Wagon No.10 Official Launch – After full restoration by the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust, 1898-built Wagon No.10 will be launched into traffic proper on the Manx Electric, forming part of the 09:55 Derby Castle to Ramsey, hauled by Car No.16. The wagon will be on display at Ramsey, returning in the late afternoon.
- Motorman Lessons -Take a turn driving 1898-built Car No.16 for part of the journey on a special service between Ramsey and Lewaigue. Tickets for the above event will be available from Ramsey Station on the day.
Fares: £10.00 per person, available from Derby Castle Booking Office (Numbers limited to 24)