Buildings – Laxey Station Building (1899-Current)

The current Laxey booking office and waiting room building began its life as the original Snaefell Mountain Railway terminus building in 1895, on the site of the current Snaefell Car Shed. The building, along with the terminus of the S.M.R, was moved two years later to a lower site at the south end of Ham and Egg Terrace (a small park marks the spot today). After another two years, the building was moved to its current location as part of the construction of a central Laxey interchange for the Snaefell Mountain Railway and the M.E.R. opening in Summer 1899.

The building presently serves as Laxey’s booking office, waiting room, and cafe (with a toilet block extension added). The cafe area was formerly a retail outlet for the Laxey Woolen Mill until 1999, with the current cafe opening in 2000, replacing the adjacent 1920s-built food kiosk.

< Back to Infrastructure

Comments are closed.