Ballure Bridge was built in early 1899 as part of the extension from the temporary M.E.R. terminus at Ballure (opened the previous year) to the centre of Ramsey. A large bridge was required to span the deep Ballure Glen immediately after the temporary terminus, and a two span steel bridge (with a span of 160 feet) was designed by the lines chief engineer, William Knowles, and built by Francis Morton & Co. of Garston, Merseyside.
The bridge has remained virtually unaltered since its construction however the once-open viewpoints in earlier photos are now disguised by tree growth in the glen, obscuring the bridge and the glen floor. During Winter 2014/15 it underwent an extensive overhaul and refurbishment.